Today I have a small post about pig wallows for you. I will tell you why they are absolutely necessary.
If you didn’t know already, pigs don’t have sweat glands. This makes them unable to cool off by sweating, so instead they create wallows to stay cool. They help with a lot of other things beside temperature control though.
The mud helps:
- Controls lice and parasites.
- It also keeps flies and other insects from biting them.
- It keeps pigs skin in good condition.
- It protects their skin from the sun.
- They love laying in it and rolling around.
Our pigs have made a couple small wallows this summer. Cassie and Chickie prefer the kiddie pools, but the boars adore the wallows. Sometimes they purposely dump their pools and water bowls over to create a wallow.
I have a love/hate relationship with wallows they are super ugly but they are what the pigs need.